Marine Service Technician 3-day Prep Courses for Trade Qualification Candidates – August 20-22 in Yarmouth and August 27-29 in Lunenburg/Bridgewater area (details to be confirmed)
Any individuals who meet the requirements to challenge the Marine Service Technician certification exam as trade qualifiers are invited to attend a 3-day prep course that will review the scope of the trade including what to expect from the exam – structure of questions, weighting of different topic areas, etc.
In order to become certified as a Marine Service Technician through the Trade Qualifier pathway, a person must:
- Be able to demonstrate they have a minimum of 10,800 hours (approximately 6 years) of work experience practicing the trade; the curriculum standard can be reviewed on the NSAA website
- Submit an application to the NSAA along with supporting documents and an application fee of $740.77
- Pass the certification exam with 70% or above
More information about the Trade Qualifier pathway is available here: https://nsapprenticeship.ca/skilled-workers/red-seal#accordion2
To help eligible candidates prepare for the certification exam, a three day preparatory course is being offered in two locations in NS in late August. The course will explain and review the different marine service disciplines included in the trade standard (curriculum standard) and provide information and examples of typical multiple-choice questions to help applicants know what to expect.
Prior to the course, NSBA will work with candidates and NSAA’s Industry Training Consultants to ensure candidates are eligible to apply for certification as Trade Qualifiers and to help them get started on the application process.
Reasons for taking the course prior to writing the certification exam:
1. The scope of the MST trade is broad and it is important to know what topics are included on the exam, as people may encounter different parts of the trade in different work environments. The course will help you be prepared for the topics that will be covered.
2. Having Certified MSTs in your company will set you apart from the competition and be helpful for business. It also helps to recruit and retain new employees who are interested in apprenticeship.
3. The course is sponsored by Boating Atlantic and the Nova Scotia Boatbuilder Association and is free to members of both organizations. A nominal fee will apply to other participants.
The course is free for NSBA and Boating Atlantic members, $75 + HST for non-members. Please note this is separate from fees payable to the NS Apprenticeship Agency as part of applying to become certified as a trade qualifier, which is $740.77. The cost of writing the exam is included in this fee paid to the NSAA.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 902-423-2378 to register.
Note: The certification exam was updated by the NS Apprenticeship Agency in September 2018 with input from NSBA and certified Marine Service Technicians. Individuals who have previously attempted the MST exam without success are welcome to attend this course. The rewrite fee for those who have previously attempted the exam is $148.18.