The Nova Scotia Boatbuilders Association has created this page to help you access current and relevant information related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Given the rapidly changing situation, the best source of information about current government restrictions and economic supports are the government websites. We have included other pages that also may be helpful for our members.
We invite our members to reach out to us if you need help finding information or supports. We would also like to know how COVID-19 is affecting your business so we know what help you may need now and in the weeks and months to come.
Government News and Updates:
- Government of Canada – Information and updates including financial supports (under “Canada’s Response”)
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Awareness Resources
- COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- COVID-19 in Canada: Using data and modelling to inform public health action (published April 9)
- Public Safety Canada – Guidelines on Essential Services and Functions
- Transport Canada – COVID-19 measures, updates, and guidance issued by Transport Canada (click the Marine tab for the most relevant information)
- NS Government – COVID-19 News and updates
- NS Employer Assessment Tool – can you stay open? With what restrictions?
- NS Apprenticeship Agency – COVID-19 Information and Changes
- NS Health Authority – COVID-19 resources including mental health supports
- NS COVID-19 Modelling (published April 14)
- NS Health Protection Act Order by the Medical Officer of Health – includes information about current work guidelines/restrictions for businesses that are still operating
Calls to Action:
- Canadian Manufacturers Needed to Help Fight COVID-19
- Calling all suppliers – Help Canada combat Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Nova Scotia Together – NS Procurement for COVID-19 supplies
- Atlantic Compassion Fund – if you are in a position that you can donate financial support to groups in need
- Next Generation Manufacturing Canada (NGen) COVID-19 Response Program
Information and Resources for Employers / Businesses:
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) – COVID-19 information including deferrals on repayments
- Atlantic Provinces Economic Council: https://www.apec-econ.ca/covid/
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) – Support for entrepreneurs impacted by the coronavirus COVID-19 + the Business Credit Availability Program
- Boating Atlantic
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) – pandemic resources (currently free of charge)
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce: http://www.chamber.ca/resources/pandemic-preparedness/?mc_cid=a71bd3756c&mc_eid=c3ec1d18e6
- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters: https://cme-mec.ca/coronavirus-covid-19-resources/
- The Canadian Payroll Association – Information about payroll and ROEs related to COVID-19 (updated March 18)
- Cape Breton Partnership (resources are not only for Cape Breton businesses)
- Conference Board of Canada – COVID-19 Implications for Canada and the Economic Impact
- Conference Board of Canada: Sharp Deep Unprecedented – Provincial Outlook Spring 2020 Preliminary Forecast
- Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium – offers virtual events and online resources
- Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- Trade Commissioner Service – COVID-19 Resources for Canadian businesses
- World Health Organization (WHO) – guide for employers to prepare for COVID-19
Opportunities to Share Issues and Concerns:
- Atlantic Provinces Economic Council – Share your update: https://www.apec-econ.ca/covid/covidinfo/
- Government of Canada: COVID-19 Sanitization Products and PPE Needs Assessment Survey (closes May 4 @ 8pm) – for Critical Infrastructure owners and operators
Boatbuilder, Repair and Service Status Updates:
- ABCO Industries: Closed to walk in visitors. Urgent business call first.
- A. F. Theriault & Sons Ltd: Screening at Gate. Call before you arrive.
- Argyle Boat Builders: Status to be confirmed
- B. Atkinson Boatbuilders: Status to be confirmed
- Baddeck Marine: Retail Store – CLOSED. If you require supplies Call (902)295-2434.
- Bayview Marine: currently open and is looking for future clients
- Big Pond Boat Shop: Status to be confirmed
- Bras d’ Or Boatworks: CLOSED
- Cheticamp Boatbuilders: Store open to one customer at a time.
- Colindale Marine Services: Open with Precautions
- Comeau Marine Railway: Status to be confirmed
- Construction Navale Atlantique: Closed to public but still operational
- Covey Island Boatworks: Status to be confirmed
- d’Eon Boatbuilding Ltd.: Status to be confirmed
- Dagley’s Boatworks: Closed to the public
- David MacDonald Boats Ltd.: Status to be confirmed
- East River Shipyard Ltd: Closed to the public
- Ed’s Hydraulic and Marine Services Ltd.: Open but closed to the public. Please call orders in and we will have ready for pick-up
- Grand Manan Boats: Status to be confirmed
- Icon Marine Services: Open but call first
- Idle Oars Boatbuilders: Status to be confirmed
- James E. d’Entremont Boat Builders Ltd.: Status to be confirmed
- Jeramy’s Small Boats Repair & Fishing Limited: Status to be confirmed
- Long Beach Boat Building Ltd.: Closed Temporarily
- Lunenburg Shipyard: Call before and Screening Protocols
- M Newell Boatworks & Welding: Closed to the public
- Nor’Easter Boats: open but closed to the public
- North East Boat Building Ltd.: Status to be confirmed
- Ocean Gear Inc.: Status to be confirmed
- Rock Solid Fabricators Ltd: Open with precautions
- Rosborough Boats: Open with precautions
- Samson Enterprises Ltd: Lennox Passage Plant – CLOSED, Pondville – Closed to public. Make an appointment to access your vessel.
- Shelburne Diesel: Status to be confirmed
- Shining Waters Marine Services: Boat yard is OPEN, Marina Office and Store: Closed to public – call if you need anything, Public washrooms are also closed to the Public.
- Snyder’s Shipyard: Closed to the public but still operational
- Superport Marine Services: Status to be confirmed
- Tern Boatworks: Status to be confirmed
- The Boat Shop: Open, But asking customers to contact to schedule visits to the yard
- Wedgeport Boats: Closed to the public but still operational
- West Head Boat Builders: operating with limited personnel
- Yarmouth Boatworks Ltd.: Status to be confirmed
Supplier Status Updates:
- A. L. LeBlanc: We will only be allowing 1 customer is the store at a time. Please wait in your vehicle and call 902-663-2516 to see if it’s OK to enter.
- ADF Diesel: ADF Diesel will maintain its activities necessary for priority services bearing in mind the directives from public health authorities. The health and safety of our employees and valued customers remain our top priority.
- All About Hydraulics: We will only be allowing 1 customer is the store at a time. Please wait in your vehicle and call 902-742-8450 to see if it’s OK to enter. Once inside, please follow the the 6ft distancing guideline. This is for our staff’s protection as well as our customers.
- Atlantic Electronic Ltd: Our offices in Dartmouth, Barrington Passage, Lunenburg, NS and Bloomfield, PEI have decided to not allow customers in off the sidewalk. We are still able to order items in and offer products we have in store, but ask customers to call ahead to make arrangements for a pickup time Lunenburg: (902) 634-4004 Bloomfield: (902) 853-4000 Dartmouth: 1-888-235-3628 Barrington Passage: (902) 637-3318
- Composites One: Open in the Maritimes with precautions; designated as essential in Ontario and Quebec, open with precautions. Their resin and gelcoat vendors Polynt & AOC remain open. Composites One reported that Diab is closed. Gurit received approval from the Quebec government to be open with restrictions; we are not yet clear on how these restrictions affect boatbuilding/repair companies.
- Develop Nova Scotia: The Develop Nova Scotia team is working remotely and remains operational. If you need assistance, here is how you can contact us: General Inquires – firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-422-6591. Parking – email@example.com Events – firstname.lastname@example.org Marina – email@example.com Accounting – firstname.lastname@example.org
- DSS Marine Incorporated: For now, it’s business as usual; our fantastic team is here to ensure you have everything you need, including any items requiring inspection and recertification by our service dept.
- EM Plastic & Electric Products: Open as normal with Precautions in place.
- Fairway Insurance Services Inc: Effective immediately our offices will be operating with a reduced staff, most of whom are working remotely. We are still available to you, our valued clients and prospects, by calls and emails only. Our availability will now be 8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday to Friday until further notice. We appreciated your continued patience during this changing time. We are available for all your requests by phone at 1-888-245-4741 or via email at email@example.com. For after hours emergency claims please call 1-902-308-0617.
Our Shippagan NB office is open to the public as of, May 19th, at 8:30am. There are still public health guidelines that will be strictly followed:
– There will only be 2 clients permitted in at a time, and only 1 per household.
– All clients will be asked to wash their hands when they come in
– Clients will not be permitted to bring in any coffee cups or water bottles etc.
– We request that you make an appointment before you come in. If you have any questions please contact our Shippagan office at 1-506-336-2207
- Jastram Technologies: Open
- Lloyd’s Register: Increased remote and work from home options. Please contact closest office for more information.
- Genrep: Open as normal with Precautions in place.
- MarineSource: No access to our retail store. We ask that you call or email with your needs, and we will contact you when your order is ready for pickup, and/or help arrange shipping.
- MCT Insurance: As a precautionary measure, we have decided to close all our branches to the public for the time being. We remain available to serve you over the phone. Please visit our website to find the phone number for your branch
- Mermaid Marine: Open for orders by phone, email, and online. Place orders in advance for pickup or delivery.
- Nova Industrial Supplies: For the safety of our staff and customers, we will be closing our retail storefront to walk-in traffic beginning March 20th at 5:00 pm. We are still OPEN for pick-up and delivery. If you need anything, please call you local store. New Minas – 902-681-1665 Bridgewater – 902-543-3545 Yarmouth – 902-742-2259
- Nova Scotia Community College: College facilities, including campuses, are closed to all but employees until further notice. NSCC is suspending in-person classes from March 23 – April 3 to prepare for alternative forms of learning, such as online. Learn more, including about changes to work experience. All non-essential College and College-hosted events are cancelled until June 1. We are also no longer accepting rentals.
- Sansom Equipment: We will remain open for business at all four of our locations, with employees and visitors using social distancing guidelines.
- Spartan Industrial Marine: Spartan Marine, as part of the Hercules Group of Companies, remains open for business, and our goal is to provide safe & uninterrupted customer service during this difficult period.
- Stright-MacKay: Showroom closed. Offices open. Orders accepted for pickup or delivery.
- Toromont CAT: Will remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- TriNav Marine Design: All of our offices are closed to the public and walk-in traffic. We have activated remote work policies to enable employees to provide business continuity to our clients and maintain our core services.
- Wajax Power Systems: Still open please contact your closest dealer for specific information.